By CHARLES KUMOLU
THE
conduct of the governorship election in Anambra State did not fall
short of pre-election predictions that the exercise would fall in line
with the state’s predilection to political drama.
Across the 21
local government areas last Saturday’s gubernatorial election was
characterised by intrigues and seemingly calculated political anomalies.
No
less a person than the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral
Commission, INEC, Prof. Attahiru Jega confessed last Saturday that the
governorship election in Anambra State was sabotaged.
The election
was indeed one that was for many candidates, party supporters, and
voters that was heralded by suspicion, fear, tension and unusual
electoral permutations.
Ngige, Obiano, Ubah and Nwoye
Though
the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, had boasted that
the exercise would witness remarkable improvements on previous polls,
its outcome, was to a large extent a mockery of that pledge.
So
when early yesterday, the Returning Officer Professor James Epoke,
declared the election inconclusive, not many were surprised or shocked
by the development.
Early alarm by candidates
While
promising a credible election at a stakeholders forum held three days to
the election in Awka, INEC chairman, Prof Atahiru Jega had said, “we
have made meticulous arrangements to ensure that the election is free
and fair. We want to make Anambra elections the best elections we have
conducted in this country.
We have done some in the past and we have learnt from our mistakes.”
Jega’s
pledge was also strengthened by the Inspector General of Police, Alhaji
Mohammed Abubakar who at the forum said, “It is possible to have a
peaceful election but it depends on the people, because we have provided
adequate security. I am appealing to Anambra people especially party
chairmen to give peace a chance.”
However, whether the commission
creditably conducted the polls, is in doubt given the outcome across the
4,608 polling units in the state.
Indications that the elections
might not be as smooth as promised by INEC emerged at the stakeholders’
forum, where the All Progressive Congress, APC, candidate Senator Chris
Ngige said INEC was yet to prosecute electoral offenders who ensured
that his supporters did note vote at the 2010 governorship elections in
most parts of Anambra Central and other parts of the state.
Ngige’s
assertion added to claims made by some persons within and outside INEC
in the days leading to the election that the exercise had already been
programmed to favour a particular candidate.
Instructively, Ngige
said “I contested in 2010 but could not enter some violent prone areas,
we had no agents there but the results were declared. Result sheets
were not brought in some areas and our people were manhandled but
results still came out and were recognized by INEC . There are times
when SPOs will come to deliver materials but will not drop result sheets
as stipulated in the electoral act. We need categorical statement on
this. This is the first time three commissioners of Police are coming to
Anambra for elections but I don’t know what the police has done with
the previous reports.”
Election Day realities
In most areas
visited by Vanguard on Election Day, it was discovered that materials
arrived late, leading to the late commencement of accreditation and
subsequently, voting.
The exercise, which was scheduled to
commence at 8:00 am, did not kickoff until 11 am, when accreditation
started in most polling units across the 4,608 polling units in the
state.
Nonetheless, at most polling units in Awka South, Anaocha
and Aguata, areas known as the home base of the incumbent governor, Mr.
Peter Obi and All Progressive Grand Alliance, APGA, Chief Victor Umeh,
accreditation and voting started early enough.
Eligible voters
For
instance when Vanguard visited Ichi Ward 2 polling unit Nnewi, the base
of Labour Candidate, Chief Ifeanyi Uba most eligible voters complained
about being disenfranchised.
Ubah corroborated this in his country
home, that day when he said, “there are a lot of inconsistencies
especially on the voters register. For instance in a ward that has about
700 voters, you will discover that only seventeen names will be found
in the register. This situation does not speak well and does not signal
that we will have a free and fair exercise,” Ubah added.
Across
other senatorial districts, it was also the same tale of massive
disenfranchisement, late and non arrival of electoral materials, alleged
monetary inducements by agents of some candidates, forceful ejection of
party agents among others.
Uncommon realignment between friends and foes
Prominent among the surprises thrown up is the uncommon realignment between hitherto political friends and foes.
This
played out with the common voice echoed by three aggrieved candidates
of the ACN, PDP and LP candidates, who called for annulment.
This
development is against the backdrop of the consensus of the trio that
the polls were allegedly programmed by INEC to favour APGA.
For
analysts and some aggrieved voters, the move by the candidates, is
regarded as a germane step towards bringing their grievances to public
glare.
At a press briefing jointly addressed by the trio, Ngige,
who spoke on behalf of the candidates called for the cancellation of the
eventual outcome.
Though the mood across the state is relaxed,
many who spoke with Vanguard in Awka and its environs, expressed
dissatisfaction that they could not vote despite turning out in their
numbers.
For this and other reasons, they called for a fresh exercise.
But APGA
is not taking the claims of rigging lightly. Its chairman, Umeh
dismissed calls for annulment, adding that the exercise was credible.
He described those, who want cancellation as failed contestants, who have no stake in the state.
“INEC
has done well but the few lapses are regrettable, the exercise was free
and fair. The people crying blue murder are disappointed that they
could not arm-twist INEC, “he added.