The rock singer Ian Watkins has pleaded guilty to a string of
sex offences involving children, including the attempted rape of a baby.
Watkins, the 36-year-old lead singer and founder member of the now-disbanded
Lostprophets, had been due to face trial at Cardiff crown court but changed his pleas at the last moment.
The
jury had been warned they would have to examine disturbing images and
arrangements were already in hand for them to receive counselling at the
end of the case.
But Watkins, whose band has sold around 3.5m
albums world wide, admitted 11 charges – though he claimed he had no
memory of what would have been key video evidence showing a one-year-old
victim being abused, because he had been taking drugs on the day in
question.
As well as the attempted rape, the charges admitted by
Watkins included encouraging a woman to abuse a child during a webcam
chat. He also pleaded guilty to making images of child sexual abuse.
Christopher
Clee QC, prosecuting, said the crown had accepted Watkins's pleas
partly to spare the jury the trauma of watching explicit video footage.
Clee
branded Watkins, from Pontypridd in south Wales, a "determined and
committed paedophile". The court heard of an exchange with a woman
offering him a "summer of child porn". He replied: "Hell yes baby."
Two women, who cannot be named for legal reasons, appeared alongside Watkins and also admitted sex offences involving children.
The
court heard that the two women were fans in their twenties who sexually
abused their babies, a boy and girl, at the behest of Watkins – and
were prepared to make the children available to him for sex.
It emerged that GCHQ helped crack the passwords on Watkins' computer to get access to the criminal images he had stored there.
Police
found drugs including crack cocaine and crystal meth on Watkins. Tests
showed that one of the children had been "exposed" to crystal meth.
Detectives
worked with other British police forces and agencies, the child
exploitation and online protection centre, local authorities in England
and Wales. But they also liaised with Interpol and the department of
homeland security in the US.
Wearing a grey
suit with a white shirt and dark tie, his black and grey hair shaped
into a quiff, Watkins continually looked to his barrister as he made his
admissions.
Catrin Evans, the head of the Crown Prosecution
Service's complex casework unit for Wales, said: "The three defendants
in this case have admitted very serious sexual offences committed
against extremely young children, demonstrating sexual exploitation at
its worst.
"A number of the victims are too young to be able to
understand what has happened to them, yet the defendants exploited them
for their own gratification.
"The prosecution case is based on
robust evidence uncovered by the investigation team and the South Wales
police high-tech crime unit. The CPS team worked closely with the police
to build a strong case and this has been a major factor in today's
guilty pleas.
"The CPS will not tolerate child abuse. Tackling
this unacceptable crime is a priority for all of us in the criminal
justice system.
"We have recently issued new guidelines for
prosecutors dealing with child abuse cases and are committed to
supporting victims and bringing those who abuse and exploit children
before the courts."
Unusually, after Watkins was charged in
December last year, South Wales police named him and asked anyone with
information to come forward.
In a statement, it said: "In order to
assist their investigation South Wales police has named the man as Ian
Watkins, a member of the rock group Lostprophets."
The statement
said Watkins and two women had been arrested as part of a "continuing
investigation" codenamed Operation Globe and had been questioned at
Cardiff Bay police station.
NEW STARTS
On
Tuesday, Detective Chief Inspector Peter Doyle, of South Wales police,
said: "This investigation has uncovered the most shocking and harrowing
child abuse evidence I've ever seen.
"There is no doubt in my mind that Ian Watkins exploited his celebrity status in order to abuse young children.
"Today's outcome does not mark the end of our investigations and we will work tirelessly to identify any other victims."
NEW ENDS
Experts from the NSPCC were also involved at a very early stage.
John
Cameron, the head of child protection operations for the NSPCC, said at
the time of Watkins's first court appearance: "We can confirm we are
working alongside South Wales police and the Child Exploitation and
Online Protection Centre on this investigation.
"It's vital we
send a clear message to those who have experienced abuse that they can
never be to blame for what has happened to them, that they have
somewhere to turn and that they will be taken seriously."
Co-founded
by Watkins in the south Wales town of Pontypridd in 1997, Lostprophets
released five albums, the latest of which, Weapons, came out in April
2012. The group have had two singles, Last Train Home and Rooftops, in
the UK top 10. The other members of Lostprophets announced last month
that the band were splitting up.
Watkins and the two women will be sentenced next month.
Guardian